22/09/2010

Wednesday 22.9.10


This morning's lecture was about drawing.

‘To draw’ can mean many, many things, including ‘to pull or cause to move towards’ and ‘to attract something’.

The word ‘drawing’ as a noun means ‘Making marks on a surface that express or represent an idea’. This could also mean writing I guess, but drawing is the only universal language. Even very young children can pick it up.

The lecture made me see how and why many adults draw hesitantly and without confidence, and why few of us draw outside of education or a specific profession, because when we grow up, drawing becomes less about expressing an inner world, and more about recording the outside world accurately, which then becomes competitive, so many people stop drawing rather than ‘fail’ at it.

I also thought more about photography, how it developed from drawing as we wanted faster and easier ways to record the world around us, and that in a pre-photographic world, drawing was much more important.

‘I spent my entire life trying to draw like a child’ - Picasso

Artists to research: Paul Noble, Julie Merehtu, Sara Simlett, Paul Nash, Christopher Nerinson, Giorgio Morandi, Richard Rogers, Frank Gehry, Muirhead Bone, Nicola Hicks

In the afternoon I had my first life drawing session, which actually went really well. I’ve done a little life drawing before in a drawing course I took, and really enjoyed it. It’s the only drawing I’ve ever really enjoyed and been able to get into. We had a female model that I found really interesting to draw, and the measured drawing of the past few days really helped me to get the proportions of her body correct. I’m looking forward to the next session.

No comments:

Post a Comment