21/09/2010

Tuesday 21.9.10

More measured drawing, this time a 5-hour wide-angle drawing of everything from eye-level down to our feet.
Distortion creeps into the drawing naturally as you look at things from a different angle. The eye-level line went at the top of the page, and we established a pre-existing vertical line in the room to extend all the way down to our feet. Obviously, as the thing you are drawing gets closer to you, it gets measured and therefore drawn bigger.


I had some trouble with the concept; it was hard for a lot of us to get our heads around, but eventually I understood enough to get measurements right and get something down on the paper. I think I’ll finish this drawing at some point, because it’s a new technique I would never have thought of trying, and even if it doesn’t go well, It’s still a different way of looking at the world, and could be refreshing.

Again, I also found it hard to concentrate and keep myself motivated on such a long drawing. I had to take frequent breaks and come back to the drawing, trying to look at it differently. The proportional work will be useful for me as I move into technical design drawings.

No comments:

Post a Comment