17/09/2010

Friday 17.9.10



So I enjoyed the first of the series of Friday lectures today. On Friday mornings the university brings in two artists and designers (usually Falmouth alumni) to give us hour-long lectures on various topics (mostly their work and how they got there, to give us inspiration, I guess)

Alison Sharkey talked about her life as a 'fine artist' and what that entailed. She morphed from a painter to an installation artist to working collaboratively with other artists, and gave advice about sending work into competitions and requesting grants, and about how to make money on the side to support working in a studio (artists rarely make enough money from selling work to support themselves)

The talk was interesting, it helped that she gave advice about finding studio space, but ultimately of little use to me as I don't think I'll ever want to refer to myself as a fine artist in a career sense, but I do enjoy collaborative work and got some good advice on how to go about finding people to collaborate with!

I'll research Artquest competitions and AXIS (THE online resource for contemporary art, apparently!)

No comments:

Post a Comment